English cricket legend David Gower has at present blasted the newest investigation right into a younger participant over an historic racist tweet.

Join Our Facebook Group Here

Former captain Gower, 64, spoke out after the social media posting was uncovered on cricket web site Wisden.com.

The participant, who not been named, was simply 15 on the time of the tweet.

However the web site did embrace particulars of the publish, together with ‘your going out with a asian’ and three hashtags: ‘Asianthroughandthrough’, ‘hweolloo’ and ‘c****y’.

It comes simply days after racist and sexist tweets by Ollie Robinson had been unearthed, main the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to ban him from worldwide cricket whereas it carries out an investigation. 

Gower stated this morning of the newest participant: ‘You study by means of your life. I believe he knew what he did mistaken on the time. He was youthful than 16 so can’t be named.

‘A good youthful participant. Everybody in sport, in life, is Twitter going “I do not know what I wrote years in the past so I greatest delete it for certain”. Others have deleted theirs to make sure. The ECB ought to have regarded in earlier than it grew to become a storm.

‘For those who’re wanting by means of sport as an entire, or enterprise. For those who as a teenager apply for a job someplace it’s completely potential interviewers look by means of social media. 

‘Strive arduous to not espouse racist or sexist views. For those who do have a second of unawareness don’t publish it on social media.’

His feedback got here as: 

  • England on Sunday night time suspended Ollie Robinson pending an investigation into racist and sexist tweets he posted as a youngster;
  • Tradition Secretary Oliver Dowden labelled the choice by the English Cricket Board (ECB) as ‘excessive’;
  • The minister was backed by Boris Johnson who stated he agreed with Mr Dowden’s feedback; 
  • The ECB final night time stated it was investigating tweets by a second participant who was lower than 16 years previous on the time.
David Gower suggested the investigations were over the top for historic remarks in the past

David Gower recommended the investigations had been excessive for historic remarks up to now

The offending tweet has now been taken offline by the player as the investigation continues

The offending tweet has now been taken offline by the participant because the investigation continues

Ollie Robinson was banned from international cricket pending an inquiry after historic racist and sexist tweets were unearthed last week

Ollie Robinson was banned from worldwide cricket pending an inquiry after historic racist and sexist tweets had been unearthed final week

English cricket is going through extra turmoil after one other racist tweet by an unnamed present participant was uncovered by an internet site 

Wisden.com chief says new tweet was unearthed after a ‘very, very fast search’ 

The managing editor of the cricket web site that unearthed the newest tweet says it was discovered after a ‘very fast search’. 

Bosses at Wisden.com at present denied they’d carried out an intensive search of the unnamed participant’s account as a way to discover the publish.

‘Actually we weren’t even massively on the lookout for this one,’ Wisden’s managing editor Ben Gardner informed BBC Radio 4.

‘It was a really, very fast search that unearthed this. I’d assume, all cricketers of any kind of notability could be going by means of their previous tweets and looking out very rigorously.’

Talking in regards to the web site’s resolution to not title the participant, he added: ‘I suppose the important thing distinction between this and the Ollie Robinson case is, one, that this participant was below the age of 16 on the time of the tweets in query, and likewise we really feel that, in a method, this story is extra than simply a few gamers’ social media tweets.

‘And (we felt) we wouldn’t wish to deliver the give attention to to only a few gamers, so, we thought that if we might one way or the other obscure the id of a cricketer, which we had been capable of do as a result of we had been the primary to seek out this Tweet and produce it to the eye of the England media staff, then that then means we might attempt to shine a light-weight on the broader points, I suppose.’

He added to GMB on Robinson: ‘I believe it’s heavy handed. I personally don’t see the necessity to droop him. He has apologised which is an enormous begin. The entire thing is about schooling.

‘The entire level is that cricket has tried to play its half to set requirements. Racism, misogyny, a protracted record of issues they’re attempting to teach folks to pay attention to. That’s what the gamers stood for after they put these t-shirts on.’

The invention of one other offensive tweet will infuriate ECB bosses, who final Wednesday unveiled their new anti-discrimination drive on the primary morning of the primary Take a look at towards New Zealand at Lord’s.

In an announcement, the ECB stated the social media publish had been ‘dropped at our consideration’ and the governing physique would make additional remark ‘sooner or later’.  

In the meantime, bosses at Wisden.com who uncovered the newest tweet, at present denied they’d carried out an intensive search of the unnamed participant’s account as a way to discover the publish.

‘Actually we weren’t even massively on the lookout for this one,’ Wisden’s managing editor Ben Gardner informed BBC Radio 4.

‘It was a really fast search that unearthed this. I’d assume, all cricketers of any kind of notability could be going by means of their previous tweets and looking out very rigorously.’

Talking in regards to the web site’s resolution to not title the participant, he added: ‘I suppose the important thing distinction between this and the Ollie Robinson case is, one, that this participant was below the age of 16 on the time of the tweets in query, and likewise we really feel that, in a method, this story is extra than simply a few gamers’ social media tweets.

‘And (we felt) we wouldn’t wish to deliver the give attention to to only a few gamers, so, we thought that if we might one way or the other obscure the id of a cricketer, which we had been capable of do as a result of we had been the primary to seek out this Tweet and produce it to the eye of the England media staff, then that then means we might attempt to shine a light-weight on the broader points, I suppose.’

It got here as former England worldwide Monty Panesar at present stated the ECB mustn’t give out a ‘harsher’ punishment than a one test-match ban.

Talking on Good Morning Britain at present, the spin bowler stated: ‘I believe he should not be given a harsher punishment than only one match, if what he has learnt makes plenty of sense.’

Nevertheless Panesar he stated Robinson should clarify his actions and urged that it ‘should come him’.

‘It may possibly’t be an announcement from the ECB, it may possibly’t be Sussex backing him up, it is obtained to be Ollie Robinson. We wish to hear what has Ollie Robinson discovered.’

Nevertheless, former England star, Michael Carberry final night time questioned Ollie Robinson’s future in cricket in gentle of the historic racist and sexist tweets that led to his suspension for the second Take a look at towards New Zealand.

David Gower appeared on GMB this morning to give his thoughts on the cricketing scandal

David Gower appeared on GMB this morning to present his ideas on the cricketing scandal

Michael Carberry questioned Robinson's future in cricket after his suspension

Michael Carberry questioned Robinson’s future in cricket after his suspension

The former England batsman was stinging in his criticism of Robinson and the ECB

The previous England batsman was stinging in his criticism of Robinson and the ECB

Boris offers his backing to Ollie Robinson over ECB suspension 

Boris Johnson yesterday gave his backing to England cricket star Ollie Robinson after he was suspended over the tweets.

Downing Avenue yesterday stated that PM agrees with minister Oliver Dowden that the ECB has ‘gone excessive’ by suspending the fast-bowler.

Mr Dowden had earlier joined a handful of Tory ministers and MPs who rallied towards the ECB’s resolution.

Nevertheless, Labour have backed the ECB, with shadow tradition secretary Jo Stevens saying : ‘It’s proper that the ECB takes the motion that they assume is critical and acceptable to sort out racism and different types of discrimination of their sport.

‘They shouldn’t be criticised for doing so by the Secretary of State.’ 

The tweets – posted when Robinson was 18 and 19 and taking part in second staff cricket for Kent, Leicestershire and Yorkshire – had been dredged up from 2012 and 2013. Earlier he attended £24,750-a-year King’s College in Canterbury. 

The Margate-born bowler, who’s now 27 and has apologised for his actions, will miss Thursday’s second Take a look at towards New Zealand at Edgbaston and will face additional punishment by the hands of the ECB. 

Mr Dowden, posting on Twitter, yesterday criticised the choice to droop Robinson, saying: ‘Ollie Robinson’s tweets had been offensive and mistaken. They’re additionally a decade previous and written by a youngster.

‘{The teenager} is now a person and has rightly apologised. The ECB has gone excessive by suspending him and will assume once more.’

Yesterday Mr Johnson waded into the talk by backing Mr Dowden, together with his official spokesperson saying: ‘Sure. The Prime Minister is supportive of the feedback from Oliver Dowden that he made through a tweet this morning.

‘As Oliver Dowden set out, these had been feedback made greater than a decade in the past, written by somebody as a youngster and for which they’ve rightly apologised.’

The previous England batsman was stinging in his criticism of Robinson and English cricket, which he says has discovered nothing from a 12 months when the sport has come below assault with repeated allegations of institutionalised racism.

‘I believed, “Right here we go once more”,’ stated Carberry when requested what his response was to the emergence of tweets despatched by Robinson 9 years in the past when he was 18.

‘It backs up what I stated final 12 months that the sport has an enormous downside. And till folks begin to cope with the issue it’s not going away. 

‘Good on the ECB for suspending Ollie Robinson however I’d ask extra questions. Why was this not picked up on years in the past? Why has this man been allowed to get this far in his profession and achieved what he has achieved on the highest stage?’

Requested by Sky Sports activities Information whether or not there needs to be a coverage of zero tolerance and that Robinson, who made his England debut at Lord’s, mustn’t play cricket once more, Carberry stated: ‘Completely. If he needs to rehab he ought to do it on the sidelines.’

In the meantime, Former England captain Michael Vaughan additionally agreed that the ECB had ‘handled it accurately.

Talking on his BBC Radio 5 Reside podcast, ‘Tuffers and Vaughan’, he stated: ‘They needed to act’.

‘I do know there was stress from powers inside that they had been probably going to ask him to go away the sport after day one and never take part within the remaining 4 days – I believed that might have been somewhat excessive.’

Robinson had earlier obtained backing from the Authorities when Tradition Secretary Oliver Dowden tweeted: ‘Ollie Robinson’s tweets had been offensive and mistaken. They’re additionally a decade previous and written by a youngster. {The teenager} is now a person and has rightly apologised. The ECB has gone excessive by suspending him and will assume once more.’

However Carberry stated: ‘I’ve no respect for Oliver Dowden’s feedback as a result of it is a bloke who has by no means been discriminated towards.’

England coach Chris Silverwood has refused to present Robinson, who faces the specter of additional motion from the ECB, any ensures he’ll play Take a look at cricket once more. Sussex, in the meantime, will determine on Tuesday whether or not Robinson will play of their opening Twenty20 Blast video games later this week.

It comes as Boris Johnson yesterday gave his backing to England cricket star Ollie Robinson after he was suspended over the tweets.

Downing Avenue yesterday stated that PM agrees with minister Oliver Dowden that the ECB has ‘gone excessive’ by suspending the fast-bowler.

Mr Dowden had earlier joined a handful of Tory ministers and MPs who rallied towards the ECB’s resolution.

Nevertheless, Labour have backed the ECB, with shadow tradition secretary Jo Stevens saying : ‘It’s proper that the ECB takes the motion that they assume is critical and acceptable to sort out racism and different types of discrimination of their sport.

‘They shouldn’t be criticised for doing so by the Secretary of State.’ 

The tweets – posted when Robinson was 18 and 19 and taking part in second staff cricket for Kent, Leicestershire and Yorkshire – had been dredged up from 2012 and 2013. Earlier he attended £24,750-a-year King’s College in Canterbury. 

The ECB has suspended Robinson (pictured) from all international cricket while the body investigates

The ECB has suspended Robinson (pictured) from all worldwide cricket whereas the physique investigates

Conservative minister Zac Goldsmith (pictured) shared his disapproval at the bowler's suspension, saying it was 'completely disproportionate and absurd'.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden (pictured) this morning said the England and Wales Cricket Board has gone 'over the top' with the suspension.

Tradition Secretary Oliver Dowden (pictured proper) this morning stated the England and Wales Cricket Board has gone ‘excessive’ with the suspension. In the meantime Conservative minister Zac Goldsmith (pictured left) shared his disapproval on the bowler’s suspension, saying it was ‘fully disproportionate and absurd’. 

 

Labour BACKS Robinson’s suspension as ‘acceptable motion to sort out racism’ 

The ECB’s dealing with of Ollie Robinson’s suspension now dangers turning into one other battlefield in Westminster’s tradition wars, with Labour defending the cricketing authorities for its ‘acceptable motion. 

Labour shadow tradition secretary Jo Stevens stated: “It’s proper that the ECB takes the motion that they assume is critical and acceptable to sort out racism and different types of discrimination of their sport.

“They shouldn’t be criticised for doing so by the Secretary of State.”

The ECB reveals no indicators of backing down after suspending Robinson from worldwide cricket pending the end result of a disciplinary investigation following historic tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013. 

The Margate-born bowler, who’s now 27 and has apologised for his actions, will miss Thursday’s second Take a look at towards New Zealand at Edgbaston and will face additional punishment by the hands of the ECB. 

Mr Dowden, posting on Twitter, yesterday criticised the choice to droop Robinson, saying: ‘Ollie Robinson’s tweets had been offensive and mistaken. They’re additionally a decade previous and written by a youngster.

‘{The teenager} is now a person and has rightly apologised. The ECB has gone excessive by suspending him and will assume once more.’ 

Yesterday Mr Johnson waded into the talk by backing Mr Dowden, together with his official spokesperson saying: ‘Sure. The Prime Minister is supportive of the feedback from Oliver Dowden that he made through a tweet this morning.

‘As Oliver Dowden set out, these had been feedback made greater than a decade in the past, written by somebody as a youngster and for which they’ve rightly apologised.’

In the meantime, Mr Goldsmith, the Minister of State for Pacific and the Surroundings, stated: ‘He despatched silly tweets as a youngster, and has apologised profusely. What’s to realize in attempting to destroy his profession over this?’ 

He was joined in his criticism of the choice by fellow Tory, George Freeman.

The Mid-Norfolk MP stated on Twitter: ‘Significantly? Posting inappropriate tweets when a youngster – for which he is apologised – is now a disqualifying crime for taking part in cricket in your nation? Significantly??’

It got here as on Sunday night time the England cricket staff introduced they’d suspended Robinson from all worldwide cricket over the tweets, posted between 2012 and 2013.

Robinson apologised final week, whereas captain Joe Root described his debutant quick bowler’s behaviour as ‘unacceptable’.

Robinson will miss Thursday’s second Take a look at towards New Zealand at Edgbaston, with the potential for additional punishment because the ECB’s integrity division attempt to set up whether or not he had any type of county contract when he posted the messages on social media in 2012 and 2013.

If he did, his case can be heard by the unbiased Cricket Self-discipline Fee. If not, the ECB will take cost.

Both method, he can nonetheless play for Sussex, with whom he has a separate employment contract.

The information got here lower than two hours after a drawn first Take a look at at Lord’s, with Root admitting he ‘could not imagine it’ when he was informed on Wednesday night time in regards to the tweets.

‘Ollie’s discovered a tough lesson,’ stated the England captain. 

‘It is unacceptable what he is finished. He is fronted as much as the dressing-room and the world, and proven regret, however we have got to maintain seeking to study and educate as a lot as we will, and make the sport as various as potential. 

‘We’re not saying the staff is ideal, however we’re at all times attempting to enhance.’



Source link

Please follow and like us:

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here