A former Minneapolis policeman accused of murdering George Floyd has met bail requirements and was released from prison on Wednesday.
According to court records, Derek Chauvin had been placed on a $ 1 million bail and the Department of Corrections has confirmed that he is no longer being held at the Oak Park Heights state facility where he is being held. Records at the Hennepin County Prison show that he was released before 11:30 (16:30 GMT).
Floyd, a black man in handcuffs, died on May 25 after a white chauvin pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck for several minutes because Floyd said he could not breathe. Floyd’s death was filmed by viewers in a widely distributed video that sparked protests around the world. Chauvin and three other officers were released.
Chauvin was charged with second degree murder, third degree murder and murder. Thomas Lane, Alexander Kueng and Tou Tao were also charged with aiding and supporting second-degree murder and manslaughter.
It is not clear where Chauvin got the money to pay off his bail. The Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, which has a legal protection fund, does not provide bail, a spokesman said. No messages were returned from the union representing the Minneapolis Police Department.
Chauvin was given a $ 1.25 million bail option or an unconditional $ 1 million bail. Subject to his release, he must attend all court hearings, have no direct or indirect contact – including social media – with members of the Floyd family, work for law enforcement or security, and surrender all firearms.
The three other officers had previously been issued bail of $ 750,000 and were released pending trial. The four men will now go on trial in March, but judges are considering requests to stand trial separately.