Spencer Benbolt Junior, 13, was killed when an industrial bin he was sleeping in with his two friends was emptied by a council worker
A mother whose young son was crushed to death as he slept in a skip bin has hit back at trolls harassing her over the devastating accident.
Spencer Benbolt Jnr, 13, and two friends aged 11 and 12, were inside the dumpster in Port Lincoln on South Australia‘s west coast when it was emptied by a council worker at 5.20am on Tuesday.
Spencer – known as Budda to his loved ones – suffered catastrophic injuries and died at the scene while the other two boys walked away unscathed.
His mother Betts has made a series on Facebook posts since Spencer’s death expressing her heartbreak and slamming trolls who have weighed in on the tragedy.
‘You don’t know sh** so I suggest you all shut your holes and keep your opinions to yourselves,’ she wrote on Wednesday.
‘My son had a home and had a loving family who cared and worried about him so who gives you any right to speak on my son’s name.’
Spencer’s mother Betts has made a series on Facebook posts since Spencer’s death expressing her heartbreak
Spencer – known as Budda to his loved ones – suffered catastrophic injuries and died at the scene while the other two boys walked away unscathed
Pictured: The scene where Spencer Benbolt Junior, 13, died after he and two friends fell asleep in a bin, which was then collected by a garbage truck
Spencer’s mother Betts made a series of heartbreaking posts mourning the loss of her son
The police investigation into Spencer’s death shifted to his family home on Tuesday as officers try to uncover why he was sleeping in a bin when he had his own bed to return to.
‘I will never wish this pain my feeling on anyone I loved my son since the doctors plaid him in my arms,’ Ms Deborah wrote about her son Spencer (pictured)
The trio had been wandering the streets for hours on Monday night before seeking shelter in the bin next to a McDonald’s as the temperature fell to 13C and the wind and rain set in.
Friends of the youngster have suggested he was supporting his two mates on an ‘adventure’ that night.
Betts hit out at ‘trolls’ through her Facebook page to reject any idea that Spencer wasn’t being properly looked after prior to his death.
‘I will never wish this pain my feeling on anyone I loved my son since the doctors laid him in my arms,’ she wrote.
Her posts have received hundreds of comments from family members and friends supporting the grieving mother and her claims Spencer was well looked after.
‘Don’t worry about what anyone says my Aunty always remember you and uncle Spencer done a completely good job raising your sons. Gonna miss my baby brother you just focus on your self and block all the negativity out,’ a family member replied.
‘They are so disgusting and cruel, they don’t know sh**. Those who knew him know how loved and cared for he was,’ another replied.
Betts hit out at ‘trolls’ through her Facebook page rejecting any idea that Spencer wasn’t being properly looked after prior to his death
Friends have said Spencer was looking after his two mates in the dumpster when he climbed in
Munnalita Kojcic and her son arrived at the scene to lay flowers on Wednesday, explaining they were heartbroken when they learned what happened to Spencer
Carlton star Eddie Betts pictured with his wife Anna Scullie. He has rejected the idea the boy was homeless and said Aboriginal communities always have an ‘open door to our kids no matter what’
One of the provincial city’s favourite sons, AFL star Eddie Betts, said the local Aboriginal community was rallying around Spencer’s family and rejected the idea the boy was homeless.
‘It’s important to know that in Aboriginal families we always open the door to our kids no matter what, so the reporting of [him] being homeless is false,’ the Carlton forward told The Australian.
‘Being a big mob, we all know each other and care for each other and our kids’ safety is always important to us uncles, aunties and elders.’
South Australian MP Connie Bonaros has called for an independent inquiry to be launched to probe all the circumstances surrounding the tragedy.
The probe would look into ‘any failures, shortcomings or neglect of obligations and responsibilities’ and examine any allegations of neglect or abuse of process by government staff.
Friends and family have said the only reason Spencer got into the bin was because he didn’t want to leave his two younger mates in there alone.
They visited the Grand Tasman Hotel about 12.30am to ask for glasses of water before walking six minutes to the edge of town toward the McDonald’s, where they crawled into the skip bin and fell asleep.
On Wednesday, Spencer’s loved ones began arriving at his family home with supplies of soft drinks and snacks to begin a period of cultural grieving period.
A family member said they would stick together as they tried to come to terms with the tragedy.
‘There’s a certain way we grieve in our culture,’ she said.
‘We have our family here now and we need to be together.’
Spencer’s school flew the Aboriginal flag at half mast on Wednesday in tribute to him