On the 25th day of February 2020, Hon. Andrew Egyapa Mercer, Member of Parliament for Sekondi Constituency donated dual desks, laptops, swivel chairs, and a motorbike to the Metro Education Directorate, for onward distribution to the schools in the Sekondi constituency which need them. This is part of his commitment to improving teaching, learning and effective supervision in the constituency.
The MP intimated that the pivot of socio-economic development is education. He reiterated that the educational items bought and presented came from the GET FUND and promised more will be done and supplied again very soon. He advised the Directorate that measures should be put in place to improve the performance of the schools in the constituency to encourage more of such gestures from those who invested.
He has additionally, lobbied successfully Ghana Gas to construct six units classroom block for Aggrey Memorial School at Bakaekyir in Sekondi.
Mrs. Elizabeth Akuako, the Metro Director of Education after receiving the items expressed her heartfelt appreciation and assured the Member of Parliament for Sekondi Constituency, Hon. Egyapa Mercer that measures will be put in place to ensure proper usage and supervision.
According to straightnewsonline findings, the Member of Parliament for Sekondi Constituency has done the following for the constituency;
- supported thirty-nine (39) students pursuing Post-Graduate studies with $1000 each,
- expansion of School Feeding from 6 schools to 12 schools, provided Sekondi Health Centre with the needed equipment,
- paid 720 constituents NHIS Premium
- asphaltic overlays at Kweikuma and Adiembra
- Construction of 8 seaters WC at Nana Kobina Gyan school, etc.