The Eastern Regional branch of the opposition National Democratic Congress has accused the Ghana Police Administration of secretly training recruits during the COVID-19 in its Koforidua training facility despite the President’s directive for the closure of schools. The branch asked the service to halt the trainings immediately.

“We are reliably informed, over Hundred (100) recruits have been selected and are currently going through training at the Koforidua Police Training School.
This is at the time the number of COVID-19 cases in the Eastern Region and in the country keep soaring as a result of the government’s bad approach to mitigating the pandemic,” a statement issued by the party said.

Join Our Facebook Group Here

Meanwhile, the Director of Public Affairs for the Ghana Police Service, Superintendent Sheila Kessie Abayie-Buckman said on the “Morning Starr” program that the Police administration never closed its training facilities as is being portrayed by the NDC.

“Police never closed its training facilities. We had two batches of recruits in training, What we did was for the junior batches to go home so the senior ones continue with their training and then the rest could come. Now we have been advised that the junior batches can now report too so that is what is going on. The necessary protocols have been put in place that all trainees are safe,” he said.

The Koforidua Police Training School re-opened for operations since last week. Trainees were also recalled to the facility.

The NDC Eastern Regional Communication Officer, Darlas Williams referred to the move as “a threat to national security.”

“After the Akufo-Addo led government announced that financial clearance had been given for the recruitment of Four Thousand (4,000) personnel into the Police Service, there has been opaque and total disregard to established procedures for the recruitment in the country, and same concerns have been shared by security experts who posits that ill-defined recruitment into the Ghana Police Service posed a serious threat to national security,” he said in a statement issued on Sunday, May 17.

 

Please follow and like us:

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here