Thomas Fallon, born in Eire in 1825, joined the 1845 third expedition led by John C. Fremont – a navy officer who dedicated a lot of massacres towards Native American — to discover what’s now the American West.
The Struggle Division tasked Frémont with surveying mountainous areas together with the central Rockies and the Sierra Nevada and to show his scientific expedition right into a navy drive if conflict began with Mexico.
Fallon selected to remain in Santa Cruz after visiting the world with the expedition amid the brink of the Mexican-American Struggle.
When the conflict broke out in 1846, 5 years earlier than California joined the union, Fallon appointed himself recruited 22 volunteers to affix Freemont’s navy forces.
Fallon and his males charged into El Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe, what’s now San Jose, on July 11, 1846 however found the native Mexican basic had vacated the premises two days earlier.
Three days later, Commodore John D. Sloat – who claimed California for the US – despatched Fallon an American flag, which he ceremoniously flew over town declaring it for the US.
Fallon and his volunteers then joined Fremont’s California Battalion for the remainder of the conflict, and he grew to become mayor of San Jose in 1859.
The Irishman, who a labored as a lodge and saddle store proprietor in Santa Cruz, married his first spouse Carmel Fallon in 1849 – with whom he had 9 kids, three of which died from cholera.
Carmel discovered her husband in what newspapers known as ‘a compromising place’ with housekeeper Maggie McBride on December 9, 1876.
She filed for divorce and accused of him of ‘adultery, psychological cruelty and bodily abuse.’
Fallon briefly married one other girl who additionally accused him of extreme abuse.
Hispanic People have lengthy known as for a statue devoted to Fallon to be eliminated, based mostly upon his therapy of Native People and Mexicans whereas part of Fremont’s genocidal expeditions.
American colonists enslaved, kidnapped, raped, and murdered a minimum of 9,500 California Natives between 1849 and 1870.
Sources: friendsof1800.org; historyofsanjose.org