Scoring goals is the work of an attacker but creating more goals makes an attacker exceptional and although Muller hasn’t scored alot this season, he has compensated for that in creating the most.
Thomas Muller has set a new Bundesliga record surpassing Kevin De Bruyne to be the player with the most assists in a single season.
Kevin De Bruyne in the 2014-2015 season set the hallmark by making 20 assists which the all time leading assists in a single season.
Muller was on par with this record before Bayern went away to Wolfsburg on Saturday creating his 21st just four minutes into the game for Kingsley Coman to finish off superbly.
Muller finishes the season five ahead of Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho, who himself set a new club record at Borussia Dortmund for assists in a single Bundesliga campaign with a total of 16.
Behind Sancho is RB Leipzig’s Christopher Nkunku, Thorgan Hazard and Flip Kostic of Eintracht Frankfurt making the top 5 in the Bundesliga this season.
2019/2020 Bundesliga Assist leaders as at game week 34 are as follows:
- Thomas Muller: 21 assists (2,259 minutes)
- Jadon Sancho: 16 assists (2,291 minutes)
- Christopher Nkunku: 13 assists (1,910 minutes)
- Thorgan Hazard: 13 assists (2,388 minutes)
- Filip Kostic: 11 assists (2,869 minutes)
- Alassane Plea: 10 assists (2,149 minutes)
- Serge Gnabry: 10 assists (2,202 minutes)
- Achraf Hakimi: 10 assists (2,716 minutes)
- Vincenzo Grifo: 8 assists (1,633 minutes)
- Marcus Thuram: 8 assists (2,216 minutes)
Muller also beat his personal best of 16 assists in a season which was his highest ever recorded in the 2017/18 season.
Bayern still has a Dfb Pokal final to play with Bayern Leverkusen on July 4, and will host Chelsea at the Allianz Arena in a second leg tie of the UEFA Champions League where they hold a 3-0 lead after beating Chelsea in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.